Newroz is my favorite time of the year! The warm weather, the spring, the food, the bright colors… it’s little piece of Kurdish bliss. It’s an ancient holiday, daiting back before 2000BC, I think… don’t cite me on that. They celebrate when someone defeated someone… and he ran up on a mountain and jumped over a big fire as a sign of victory. They still make big fires and crazy Kurdish boys still jump over the flams. But now in 2010, Newroz looks like picnicking, dancing to loud Kurdish music, waving flags, and getting new jili kurdis. Here’s few pictures from this year:
It did get quite cold… we’re under a blanket, you can’t really tell, but it was cold. But we stayed out at the picnic site in the cold and dark, they are tough picnickers!
I did get a new jili kurdi, too. This was the first one that I really helped design/pick out. Our seamstress neighbor sewed it. I like it! I'll have to put a picture of that later, though, the internet is quite slow right now and Carol and I are going on a walk to get some Vitamin E (sun!).
No comments:
Post a Comment