Monday, May 24, 2010

A Surprise Visit



Carol and i have a lot of adventures and funny stories, the latest was the surprise visit at 9pm last night.

I was actually feeling kind sick from some blisters on my hands that I think got infected... I mean there is so much dust and dirt in the air right now that even fruit left on the counter gets infected. But I was just feeling kinda blah. So I watched the movie Cast Away in the living, the fan full blasting, wear my "house clothes"... which in the summer consists of tank tops and shorts. I was at the really climatic part of the movie, when Chuck makes it off the island and is reuniting with the girl, who was the only reason he survived those 4 years on the island. So anyway, Carol comes in, kinda stressed, and said 'Chra's here'.
I ignored because I didn't understand and was really into the movie.
"Chra's here".
'Who?'
"Chra"
"who?"
She shakes my ankle, "get up, Chra's here'.
"Chra??" Oh wow. So i get up, still kind confused, and scramble into my room to change into clothes... I see Chra, my sweet co-worker from the oil company walking in through the kitchen. She looks just as confused as I do.
But she sits down on the couch.
Carol and I rendevous in the kitchen, panicing a little. We don't have any fruit, we don't have any cold water, ahh, what snacks do we have? Do we have any cookies, anything? (There's the whole visit protocol in this culture). You must serve a cup of cold water, to the brim, when the guests first arrive. Serve nuts next. Then a round of soda or more cold water. Serve tea, strong and sweet. And then finally served washed fruit. The fruit tells the visitors 'ok, go home now... i'm out of food for you'. haha. Usually guests leave within ten minutes of being served fruit.

Anyway, I sit down with Chra and was like 'so.... ? what's up'... and she's like 'you didn't get my message? Tolaz, Farah & Ahmed, Lilo and Ruhi are coming, too."
'oh, everyone!?!'
Within 2 minutes they all came over. I'd been asking them to come over sometime and so they did, spontaneously. Haha, it was fun, and Carol and I pulled off a surprise visit! She did have to sneak out and drive to the store for fruit and nuts.

It was funny, just another surprise of living here. It's really normal to have people drop in and stay for the evening. And I adore these two friends, so I loved having them over.

The pics are just fun pics of me and Carol and our jili kurdis.

No comments:

Post a Comment