Monday, May 3, 2010

Jili Kurdi Fashion

I said once that I would write about my Jili Kurdi... so i will attempt to explain such an delicately mysterious thing! Girls wear Jili Kurdis on special occasions, such as dances, weddings, graduation, picnics, parties, etc. They are BRIGHT, beautiful, decked out, sequenced, bulky, itchy, and yet so enchanting. At first, I felt obligated to wear one... actually, no. I always liked them. Like two days after I landed in Iraq for the first time we went to an engagement party and I wore a borrowed bright pink jili kurdi. (below) and danced with the best of them. I've gotten better at dancing! yikes!
Usually, girls get a new Jili Kurdi for special events, so it's normal for a girl to have quite a few jili kurdis in her collection. Newroz is the debut of your dress for the season--- and rain, shine, or wind, everyone wears a jili kurdi.
I had one made for myself this year, instead of wearing a borrowed one.
My friend told me about this website that had pictures of the latest in Kurdish fashion. So my idea came from that website. (kurdishfashion.com if you want to check it out!)

I went to this man's shop and bought the material in the bazaar. Don't worry, I did ask if I could take a few pictures. I think he was confused enough anyway.
So many colors to choose from! This is actually the more 'drab' selection... but I was working with an idea in mind! You'll see what I mean.
He cut it meter by meter. He's so cute and old.
Then I had my neighbor, Jwan, make it for me. She actually has a business out of her house. Around Newroz time she converts her kitchen into a shop and sews jili Kurdis. This year she made over 100 dresses! way to go, little entrepreneur!
This is how it turned out.
I like it. It's flowing and princessy.
Here's pic with some more girls. See, I told you, they are so BRIGHT. Most of these girls are sisters. haha.. big families!



This was the idea I was kinda going for.
Fun, huh!?

2 comments: